Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Designers of the Week


Frank Gehry
Frank Gehry is one of the most well-known modern architects out there. His style is one of the most usual out there, and he challenges our preconceived notions about architecture. We've already seen some of his work in class, including the Guggenheim in Bilabo, Spain, as well as the Disney Concert Hall. I'll be honest-- not everyone likes his work or can relate to it, but either way, his position as one of the most renowned architectural designers is secure.





Paola Antonelli
Recently called one of the top one hundred most powerful people in the world of art, Italian native Paola Antonelli is a current Senior Curator in the Department of Architecture and Design at the MoMA. "Paola Antonelli’s goal is to insistently promote design’s understanding, until its positive influence on the world is fully acknowledged," a quote from World Technology Week, says it all.

http://www.ted.com/speakers/paola_antonelli.html (Watch her discussions from TED. Terrific.)




1 comment:

  1. I was very impressed with Paola Antonelli and the way she views design as art. In one of her talks she stated "Everything I see is a beginning of a long story." I thought about all the designs we are surrounded by in the present. For example a design that started as a small wooden box with a small spherical monitor gleaming at us in black and white today morphed into a flat screen TV. A television set certainly came a long way, and still has a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete